Davy Lawther and his bus.This was a private bus that served
the people of
Drumbeg before the Ulster Transport Authority. Mr and Mrs Lawther
lived in one of Thompson's Cottages, he parked his bus at Thompson
Works, now the Hermitage.
It is thought the photograph was taken in College Street, Belfast.
David Lawther served in a Royal Navy armoured car squadron in
the Caucasus during the 1914-18 war and had been running buses
between Drumbeg and Belfast via Ballylesson since 1925. In 1928
he was providing eleven double workings over this route as well
as running to and from the hospitals on visiting days. Over the
next seven years he built up his business so thet, when he was
taken over by the NIRTB he was the owner of eight buses ( 1 Albion;
1 Chevrolet: 3 Commer; 1 Dennis; 1 Leyland; 1 Reo).
taken from 'Early Bus Services in Ulster' by M L Kennedy &
D B McNeill
Photograph from Clara Crookshanks